* Fond Farewell

After much resistance, indecision, and procrastination, I have finally decided that it is time for me to abandon this blog. As much as I enjoy sharing my tales of Hercules with my little audience, it's time for me to focus my energies elsewhere.

It's just that time is my most scarce resource, and I've been re-examining how I use my time lately and I've been forced to admit that blogging simply isn't a productive use of my precious time. Blogging is not the sort of writing that I aspire to produce. It doesn't propel me closer to any of my goals. It's a handy way to update my friends and family of Herc's latest antics, indeed, but it's making me lazy when it comes to making real live phone calls and that's no good.

I also realized that a large part of blogging involves participation in a community. Bloggers are expected to start dialogues and converse with other bloggers who share your interests. So blogging isn't just about writing blog posts - you also have to read other blogs and comment on other people's posts, and hopefully they will reciprocate. At least that's what you do if you want your audience to expand beyond your friends and family. That's the part I've had the hardest time with. For a while I struggled with my desire to feel included. I courted mommy bloggers, and then feminist bloggers, but I really didn't expand my audience much in either community. To be fair, my efforts weren't very diligent because DAMN there are a bazillion blogs out there and that's a lot of reading and commenting! Lately I've started to feel like I've become caught up in a juvenile popularity contest and that's not at all the sort of dynamic I want to waste my energy on. The idea of a blogging community sounds nice, but in MY reality it has seemed more like a big echo chamber and I'm basically uninspired by it. Which in no way is intended to diminish other bloggers out there. This is just my personal perception.

I want to spend more time getting involved locally in my community. I want a community that involves personal interaction, and it's something I seriously need to work at and not only is blogging not helping me to achieve that, it's actually impeding me. So bon voyage, blogosphere. I hardly knew ye!

I am, however, keeping my photoblog. That is quicker, simpler, and frankly more fun. I think it has a lot do with the fact that photography has become my substitute for writing. Writing is a solitary, reclusive activity and it's probably not something I'm going to be able to pursue seriously until Hercules is grown and my life has achieved the balance I strive for. Photography, however, is portable and even social. My camera goes with me everywhere, and it's just as fun snapping kid pics as shooting street photography or still lifes(lives?). I really hope to do more portraiture, which goes hand in hand with my desire to overcome my shy nature and connect with people I don't know. So yes, haphazardous stays. And my flickr photostream will surely feature all my favorite Hercules shots as well. Maybe someday the flickr fairy will buy me a pro account, even!

So thanks to my faithful readers out there, you've all been wonderfully supportive of Hercules and I throughout our trials and tribulations. I really have enjoyed blogging, which is why it's taken me so long to make this decision. And I've truly enjoyed reading other blogs, too. I've learned a thing or two from other women out there and I hope they keep up the great work.

Hasta luego!

Renee May

9 Comments:

Blogger ljmax said...

I, for one, will really miss your stories and am sad to see you go...I understand though and will enjoy the pictures.

4/13/2006 2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a sinking feeling that his was coming...

I too have an ADHD son around Herc's age and have had similiar struggles as you...school and otherwise.

Yours was my number one blog that I went to quite frequently. I will miss Herc the most...

All I can hope for is that you may give us an update on how he is growing and coping...that would be a treat.

"Educating Hercules" has educated me!

Thank you for sharing Renee...

Good-bye for now & Good Luck in all of your endeavors.

4/13/2006 4:30 PM  
Anonymous Ronda said...

Yeah- I can see how blogging could get in the way of serious, focused writing... but I was looking forward to the postings about your neighborhood and creating community there and the kids that wander your way, and how Herc would handle the next bathroom ambush, etc. etc. Good luck and I'll keep an eye out for your writing down the road...whatever form it takes.

4/13/2006 6:16 PM  
Anonymous Veronica said...

Good luck with your pictures and "real life" endeavors! And, best wishes to you and Hercules.

4/14/2006 11:46 AM  
Blogger fiercelyfab said...

Great reasons to stop blogging.

It does take a lot of time and it has this sort of petty popularity contest like you mentioned, and building community via on-line is very time consuming--too much so. I too am nearing the end stages cuz it is too hard and my life right now, like yours, needs my time credits elsewhere. Like outside community organizing and other kinds of writings.

It sounds like you are off to bigger and better things, good for you! I loved your writing and will miss it dearly.

Thank you for sharing and visiting my blog.

Take care and best of luck.

4/14/2006 12:38 PM  
Blogger momma-yaya said...

I will so miss your blog, Renee, but I'll tune into your photoblog more often now. I myself have never quite had a good handle on the blogging community thing, but had developed a bit of a feeling of being sort of like neighbors. I wish you and your family all the very best. Thanks for all the fabulous blogging you've done, your honesty and "mommy drive" have always been an inspiration to me.

4/16/2006 5:09 AM  
Blogger new_eyes said...

You write so well and the subjects were all very interesting. I hope you take another look at where blogs are going now. There are other ways to get traffic than to have to read other people's kreppy BlOGs and blogRoLL. You were specializing in a subject here, most of the time. I'm trying "indexing", using Technorati for keyword searches ("tags"), etc.

But it will always be time consuming, and there's something about blogging (ugh) that leads to careless, off the cuff writing. (For me, anyway, not you that i've noticed). Maybe that's good though, a change of style if not too radical as to be unreadable.

Anyway, I'll miss the updates too.
yrs,
johnj

4/17/2006 8:59 AM  
Blogger kristal said...

So, it has been a week or two since I first read this and I've been thinking about it every day... the part about being a part of a community. I keep wanting to write about it but everything comes out sounding like crap. So, I guess I just wanted you to know that even though I don't always comment, I DO read. I'm not a very good blogger that way...

k

4/29/2006 1:40 PM  
Anonymous Kari said...

Wish I had read this earlier! But, as you know, life gets in the way of online stuff.

I am sad to see you go, but will look for you in the other places you've linked.

Best of luck to you and Herc! :)

4/30/2006 5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home