* Playing hooky

Looks like Hercules was sick after all. I got a call at 1:00 yesterday from the school nurse – Hercules has a fever, please come get him. I’m more than happy to have an excuse to ditch work, so I picked him up straight away. He was running a fever, which means he has to be fever-free for 24 hours before they’ll let him back in school. So we’re home again today, but Hercules is already over his bug and has been going strong all day. We’ve been running errands all afternoon, which is a bit exciting with the warrior in tow. But it’s Pa’s birthday next week and I had to get his gifts while I had the chance.

Although women are supposedly genetically wired to pass hours at the mall in pure bliss, I would personally prefer a nice, quiet trip to the dentist. I hate malls even more than I hate shopping in general. I would explain why I was forced to enter this bastion of consumer excess, but I don’t want my husband to find out what he’s getting, so you’ll just have to trust that I had no other choice.

It was especially fun trying to get Hercules to walk from one end of the mall to the other. But there were just so many stores – no doors or barriers, just wide open, beckoning to him with their flashy displays, seductive aromas, bright colors and hypnotic noisemakers. And the kiosks! I tried to keep a hold of his hand, but my little warrior isn’t so easily tethered. I was really wishing I had some handcuffs, and even though I’m sure the general public frowns on handcuffing children, I was prepared to sacrifice my reputation.

And yet, somehow our mission was accomplished and finally I could flee the mall. Then it was off to the grocery store for just a few quick items. That was much easier to manage because those carts are just big enough to hold a Hercules. I put the food in that little seat for babies and tried to keep Hercules from rocking the cart into passers-by. He only managed to knock down a few jars of pickles, but nothing broke so hey, no big deal!

But it’s all over, we’re home now and Hercules is waiting for The Diva to pick him up for their weekly rendezvous. I’m glad he’s feeling better – it does him good to hang out with The Diva.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home