* It's Official

I spoke with Herc’s psychiatrist earlier this week, and ADHD it is. No surprises there. Then it was time to discuss treatment and she listed for me all the medications that were available: Adderall, Concerta, Ritalin, Strattera. She discussed the side effects with me and then asked me which one I felt the most comfortable with. I chose Strattera, but I had to call her back to let her know which pharmacy to call it in to.

But first I got online and started researching Strattera. That was kind of scary. So I googled Ritalin and that was just as scary. They’re all scary. It’s all just one big gamble and this is my only child we’re talking about here and I don’t like any of my choices, dammit.

Of course you hear the horror stories, which I had already braced myself for. I take those with a grain of salt. Particularly when a parent says something like this:

My daughter took Strattera for about a month. She became very hostile and angry while taking it. She is normally very docile and happy.


If she is normally “docile and happy,” why in the hell did you put her on meds?? Good grief.

Anyway, I’ve spoken with the psychiatrist some more and I’m still leaning towards Strattera, with Concerta as my second choice. I’ve since called her back and asked more questions and she told me to take my time to decide. On one hand, I’m really very thankful that she’s allowing me to choose a drug that I feel comfortable with. On the other hand, sometimes I wish she would absolve me of all responsibility and tell me what to do. I feel like I’m grossly under qualified to be making this sort of decision.

One thing I learned from my research is that caffeine, being a stimulant, tends to have similar benefits as meds for ADHD people. I’m thinking of making Hercules a cup of coffee every morning just to see what happens. It’s certainly less risky than Ritalin, I figure. I’ll use that instant coffee that Pa can’t bring himself to drink.

Speaking of Pa, it’s his birthday today, by the way. Happy Birthday, Love!

So I’m leaning towards Concerta right now, with Strattera a close second. Concerta lasts the longest so it’ll get him through the entire school day. If it really works, maybe I won’t be afraid to let Hercules ride the bus home after school!

But it’s all just one big experiment, with Hercules as the hapless guinea pig. Woopeee.

Does anyone else out there have any experience with Strattera or Concerta, or any of the other meds? Good, bad, or otherwise?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sent you an e-mail..from my heart to yours....Mom

2/17/2006 3:27 AM  
Anonymous Kari said...

Good luck, Renee. And good luck, Herc... I hope you find success in whichever medication you select.

I think the main thing is to be totally vigilant about any side-effects that might occur so that you can switch if necessary.

Let us know how it goes... :)

2/18/2006 2:54 PM  
Anonymous renee said...

thanks kari! i'll keep you posted:)

2/19/2006 1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home