* Long live the weekend


Hikers
I hope everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving. Ours was perfect, much too perfect for me to sneak away and be an antisocial blogger, so I’m sorry I wasn’t here to wish everyone well for the holiday. Though I may not be a very punctual or devoted blogger, I am most certainly thankful for my devoted readers. It’s nice to know there’s someone else out there, paying attention. Thanks:)

We didn’t have the kids on Thanksgiving Day, so it was the three of us plus three friends. Unfortunately, none of the three friends brought children along, so Hercules was a bit disappointed. All the same, he behaved himself well all day. It was relaxing and pleasant, and it was great to play hostess to good friends. I noticed that I’m finally beginning to feel at home in my home. I know that sounds strange, but home is the center of my universe, and having a home that I feel good about means a great deal to me. It’s taken a while to make this house feel like home, but I’m starting to feel it lately. When I have that, I love to share my home with friends. No big party crowds, mind you. I don’t care for crowds, especially in my home. But add a handful of fun folks to our household and the entertainment just comes naturally.

I should also mention that the biggest reason that I was so relaxed and content on Thanksgiving was because my husband did ALL THE COOKING. Did you know that I’ve never cooked a turkey? Or roasted, fried, basted, or whatever it is you do to turkeys these days, I’ve never done any of it. I’ve been a vegetarian for over 10 years now, and somehow I managed to avoid preparing a Thanksgiving dinner in all that time. I’ve been spoiled by my mother, my sister-in-law, and now my husband.

My husband! That man of mine single-handedly served a smoked turkey, shrimp jambolaya, mashed potatoes with gravy, corn muffins, a decadent relish tray consisting of marinated olives, roasted bell peppers, baby corn, gerkins, pickled white asparagus and cauliflower, and finally for dessert, chocolate bread pudding. Does he ROCK or what?

Technically I’m actually a flexitarian anymore, not strictly vegetarian at all. I eat fish and seafood regularly, and I will eat poultry on special occasions, like Turkey Day for instance. I’m hoping next year we’ll be able to afford an organic bird, so I can partake entirely guilt-free.

As for my meditation routine, it’s working out nicely so far. Today is the first day that I haven’t done it at all, and Hercules has done it with me twice so far. The first time he was more resistant than I anticipated, but he went along with it however reluctantly. The second time he was much more complacent about it, and remained very quiet throughout. The past 2 days all the kids have been here so I haven’t tried to force it when there’s so much activity in the house. Yesterday morning I was meditating in my room while Hercules played an infinite loop of “WE WILL ROCK YOU” on my computer, enhanced by our new and improved speakers, by the way. Not exactly soothing music to still the mind by, but surely I gleaned something productive from several minutes of deep breathing.

Judging by the quality of my weekend with a houseful of kids, I’d say it’s the best medicine. Tonight I promised everyone a dance party, so I need to get going on a bootilicious playlist in iTunes.

Until next time, rock on earthlings. May the groove be with you.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Emily said...

for thanksgiving this year i demanded an organic chicken for frying purposes. it was 10$ for a small chicken from clovers, but it was very good and ended up being the perfect amount sense everyone else had ham as well. mmm.

11/26/2005 9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home