* So far, so good

The first day was a success! Turns out Rio's arch nemesis is nowhere to be found, not in his class or anywhere else for that matter. So that's one less worry for our little Hercules. This was the kid who reveled in antagonizing Rio, and as a result Rio ended up getting in quite a bit of trouble. Since Rio is pretty good at getting into trouble on his own, it's particularly frustrating when another child comes along and starts trouble for him deliberately. This is sometimes an issue with my stepchildren, one in particular, and it can be pretty frustrating.

But it's just SO exciting to make Hercules mad! WOW!

But I digress. Rio's first day was pretty great. The only problem he had was that his pants developed a tear right down the front that grew bigger and bigger as the day progressed. Luckily, these were nylon pants that had a liner, and the liner remained intact so at least he wasn't exposing himself. But still, the poor kid was pretty embarrassed. I wish someone had called me, I would have brought him another pair of pants. I told Rio to do that next time, and he was like "Why didn't you tell me that before??" Because, you know, that should have occurred to me.

The best thing is that his confidence has really been boosted by his success so far, and that makes all the difference. Of course, he's still in that honeymoon period and that will last a couple of weeks, and then the novelty will wear off. I'm sure he'll have some rough days and he's bound to spend some time in the ABLE room eventually. But that's ok, that's still progress! My goal for this year is to make it the whole year without any meltdowns - where Rio has to be dragged kicking and screaming from the classroom and isolated somewhere. If we can just avoid that, I'll be pretty damn thrilled.

My other goal is that he learns to curb his aggression - so no one else gets hurt this year. I can't tell you how much guilt I feel whenever another child gets punched or kicked by Hercules. It makes me feel like a horrible mother. That one will be a little trickier, and I may have to settle on fewer incidents of aggression. It really depends so much on his emotional maturity, and it's pretty hard to guage how that is progressing. He does seem to be doing much better with his stepsiblings in that department, so I'm quite hopeful.

It's hard to balance hopeful with overly optimistic, because too much optimism can quickly turn into bitter disappointment when things go awry. And the lesson here is non-attachment. Oh I've got a lot of work to do on that one!

Here's joke for you:

Me: Knock knock.

You: Who's there?

Me: Control freak. This is the part where you say "Control freak who?"

Get it? If so, then you're probably either a control freak or you live with one. I made the mistake of telling this one to my husband. Now whenever my control issues surface, he says "Knock knock!"

It's not easy being a perfectionist, you know! The world is so imperfect!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home