* American Music Dance Party


American Music
Originally uploaded by Renee May.
I picked up Rio from school yesterday and checked his chart - three sad faces in Music, otherwise mostly smiles as well as lots of reminders. Not bad, but we need to get to the bottom of this problem in Music class. Hercules is a rock star, Music should be his favorite class!

I discuss this (and many other things) with The Diva during our yoga session. While we're upstairs stretching and breathing loudly, Rio is downstairs rocking out to his new favorite songs. These include:

Rawhide
The Ballad of Davy Crockett
Buffalo Soldier by Bob Marley
I Want You to Want Me by Cheap Trick
We Want the Funk by Parliament

And the current #1 Hercules Pick of the Day:
American Music by The Violent Femmes

He has recently figured out how to navigate the playlists in my iTunes library, and of course he found the one with his name on it. I put the first four songs in there knowing he'd be into those. The others he found on different playlists I'd made for my friends. On Sunday he played Rawhide on a continuous loop for hours. Witness Rio hollering:

"ALL THE THINGS THAT I'VE BEEN MISSIN'
GOOD VITTLES, LOVE AND KISSIN'
ARE WAITIN' AT THE END OF THE RIDE!"

He especially loves the part where he cracks the whip and cries "HAAA!"

But last night Rawhide came in second to American Music.

"I NEED A DATE TO THE PROM
WOULD YOU LIKE TO COME ALONG?
BUT NOBODY WOULD GO TO THE PROM WITH ME
BAAAABY
THEY DIDN'T LIKE AMERICAN MUSIC
THEY NEVER HEARD AMERICAN MUSIC
THEY DIDN'T KNOW THE MUSIC WAS IN MY SO-OOUL
BAAAABY!"

Pretty soon, The Diva can't help herself and she's in there dancing along with Rio. If I hadn't been in the middle of fixing dinner I would have joined in, too. It's no accident that my son is a dancing fiend, you know. He's his mama's child:)

All the while that Rio is performing for us, he's also wearing my new pedometer. Between songs he pauses to check his step count. By bedtime he was up to 4354. Not bad for a night's work. I've already decided to get him one of his own. I may even get one for each of the kids, so they can all go out in the yard and run races and compete for the most steps or whatever. It could even become a very handy device. "Alright boys, go outside and don't come in until you've gone 6000 steps!" But I digress. I do that a lot. You'll get used to it.

Finally I had to put young John Travolta to bed. After that, Pa brought out his banjo so he and The Diva could work on some songs for their gig this weekend. They've been working on Dream a Little Dream, Fine Brown Frame and Summertime (a crooning Billie Holliday rendition). You should hear The Diva sing, she's a powerhouse. She was explaining to us that back when she was teaching herself to sing, she chose the most difficult songs and sang them over and over again until she could do them perfectly. It didn't take much prompting to get her to demonstrate for us. So she sang a couple of her favorites: Blue Bayou and I Don't Know How to Love Him (from Jesus Christ Superstar). She blew me away, as usual. I'm going to try to get a sitter Friday night so I can see her sing with the band and get some photos.

Nights like this remind me how lucky I am:) Yoga night is the best!

Hint: Click on the photo above to see more photos of Hercules in his groove.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home